Pages

Sunday, January 6, 2013

Holidays, plants and heatwaves don't mix

The past two and a half weeks I have been overseas.

This means that no one was around to water my plants for that entire time. Furthermore, during one of those weeks there was a heatwave of temperatures of 40 degrees Celsius.

Before I left I had been battling with caterpillars. They were taking over and that was my main concern. Now I don't have to worry about caterpillars because most of the plants are dead.

Dried and brittle. It was a sad sight. My lush lettuce has turned stiff. My tomato seedlings crisp.
Everything brown.

A year ago I learned that water is vital for plants to stay alive. This time round I learned that you should have a watering plan when leaving for holidays, due to the fact of lesson number one. They absolutely do not survive without water.

All has not failed yet. My basil plant from a year ago is still alive and well. I think I have trained it to handle extreme conditions, because it cannot bet on ideal ones.

My lemon tree is still living, just a little bit sad...

I think I can salvage my chocolate mint as there is a little bit of green on one of the areas. However it is going to take a long time to repair.

My Youngberry still has a bit of green, so may survive also.

May need to do a bit of replacement shopping...

Water. Very important for plant survival!

No comments:

Post a Comment