Pages

Thursday, November 15, 2012

Recklessly Finishing Something

I've always had problems finishing things. This includes books.

I have a bookshelf full of books I half read, only read a few pages of or never read. This week I bought 2 more books.

It might not make much sense buying more books when I know I can't get through one. However, I believe that these books might change everything! And I mean, more than just being able to finish a book.

Funny enough, the first of the two is called "Finish This Book" by Keri Smith. The title communicates exactly what the book is. My task is to finish the book. Not buy just reading it, but writing in it also. Which is a big deal for me because I am quite particular with books. I don't want to crease them, break the spine or write in it. I like my books crisp and clean. But I also want to change the fact that I like things to be kept perfect, which I think is one of the reasons why I never complete anything.

The second book is "Wreck This Journal" also by Keri Smith. The book experience is exactly what the title implies. The objective is to wreck the book. Drawing in it, ripping it, throwing it... Cracking the spine. This is going to be one heck of a journey.

Finish This Book and Wreck This Journal by Keri Smith. Photo taken by Andrea Clemente
Books by Keri Smith.
This image was taken with the DSLR camera I bought a couple of months ago.
This is the first time I have used it after charging it for the first time yesterday.
It was about time. A purchase too expensive to be collecting dust... 

You have no idea how difficulty this is going to be. Or maybe you do.
Reading the first few pages of these books already has me nervous. I swear these books were created with people like me in mind.

Who is a person like me?

1. Someone who has always refused to write in a book in pen. Including diaries.

2. Someone who reads a book in a way not to crack the spine, crease any pages and keeping them well away from anything stain inducing.

3. Someone who will rarely do anything without planning. Especially concerning paper.

4. Someone who will rarely finish a book.

All of the above is going to change. If the above sounds like you too, I will show you that it is possible to liberate yourself. I'm not saying it will be easy. If I am struggling, I will mention it. But in the end all will be changed.

Let the destruction begin!

No comments:

Post a Comment